Introduction to Access Groups
Access Groups are used to manage access to the devices on the Locks’ LAN side. Operators and field engineers use Key application to open connection to the Virtual Central Lock and from there onwards access to the LAN side devices is possible as configured by the Administrator in the Virtual Central Locks’ Access Groups. Once a Lock is added to Virtual Central Lock, access to the LAN side devices is managed with the Access Groups, but not to the Lock itself.
Access Group consists of logical sets of users and devices that are combined to provide users access permissions to physical devices. Access Group UI uses concepts of a Lock group, Key group and Access group.
- Lock group is a collection of TOSIBOX® Nodes and Locks connected to your network. A single Node or a Lock can form a group.
- Key group is a collection of users with TOSIBOX® Key or TOSIBOX® SoftKey who have access to manage the network. A single user can form a group.
- Access group is a combination of a Lock group and a Key group (or groups) where the users belonging to the Key group shall have access to the devices belonging to Lock groups. Individual users or devices which do not belong to any group can be added to Access group as well.
Access Groups UI
The Access Groups web user interface view is divided into two panes.
- Keys and Locks – Left part of the screen is shared between Keys or Locks. You can select the wanted content with the LOCKS and KEYS buttons.
- Access groups – Created Access groups are listed on the right.
A group is differentiated from a single object with a greater-than sign (>). Clicking the symbol expands the group and displays the content.
- You can search and filter for specific objects using the search text field
- You can add new Lock, Key or Access group with the + symbol
- Quick filtering is available through the Filter button
Workflow for creating Access Groups
Creating new Access Group consists of three steps; creating a Lock group, creating a Key group and finally creating an Access Group.
- Choose whether you are creating a Lock or a Key group by clicking either the LOCKS or KEYS button.
- Click the + symbol to create a new group. Give the group a name.
- Drag and drop the wanted Layer 3 users to a new Keys group or Layer 3 devices into the new Locks group. You can drag and drop several objects by checking their checkbox and dragging the objects. Note that you cannot add Layer 2 Keys or Nodes to a group. To use Layer 2 Key or a Node in Access Group they must be added as an individual object. Layer 2 Key or a Node can belong to a one single Access Group only.
- Once you have created both the Keys group and the Locks group create a new Access Group by clicking the + symbol.
- Edit access group view will open. You can edit the settings now or modify them later. Click Save to save the changes. The Access group is still blank at this stage.
- Drag and drop the wanted Keys group from the Keys pane and Lock group from the Locks pane into the newly created Access Group. Watch the Access Group build as you drag and drop groups and individual users or remove them.
For this article we use an example with local network and two Locks with few LAN devices.
To add Locks to VCL see article How to connect Lock to the VCL
Access Group for Master and Backup Key
Access group for master Key (41823) that can access both Locks. Key group named "Group ONE" has only the master Key in it. Lock group named "Group ONE" has both nodes, Lock #1 and Lock #2, in it. Groups have been added to the Access Group ONE.
View of Master Key access rights in Key desktop application.
Access Group for Sub Key
Access group for Sub Key that can only access one Lock.
Access group for Subkey (29757) that can access only the Lock #1. Key group named "Group TWO" has only the Sub Key in it. Lock group named "Group TWO" has only the Lock #1 in it. Groups have been added to the Access Group TWO.
View of Sub Key access rights in Key desktop application.
Beside these basic access features you can also choose default rules for future Locks and Keys.
This way connected Locks or Keys will automatically be assigned for certain Access group.